Thursday, May 26, 2011

Decreasing Cable Towel Toppers

After making the first towel toppers I did, I had the idea to make similar ones with cables. I love cables. And I really liked the idea of having a towel topper that had more going on for it.

These start out in a k6, p2 rib pattern which diminishes and cables as the pattern goes on. I also did 2 buttonholes with a wider strap than most patterns use.

These are done in regular, worsted - weight cotton, although you could use any weight and type of yarn. Keep in mind that cotton doesn't have much stretch, so be sure to knit loosely.

Abbreviations Used
k knit
p purl
ssk slip, slip knit
CL3, slip 3 stitches onto cable needle in front of work, knit 3, knit 3 off cable needle
CL2, slip 2 stitches onto cable needle in front of work, knit 2, knit 2 off cable needleCL1, slip 1 stitches onto cable needle in front of work, knit 1, knit 1 off cable needle

I used 62 stitches, but as long as the number you cast on is divisible by 8 + 6 it will work.

To start, use a darning needle to create stitches down the middle of the towel. I found the instructions here to be helpful with this.

Rows from there:

1: Pick up stitches2: p6, *k2, p6, repeat from * to end of round
3: k6, *p2, k6, repeat from * to end of round
4: and all even rows - purl all purled stitches and knit all knit stitches as they face you.
5-9: repeat row 3
11: CL3, *p2, CL3, repeat from * to end of round
13-15: k6, *p2,k6, repeat from * to end of round
17: k1, ssk, ssk, k1, *p2, k1, ssk, ssk, k1, repeat from * to end of round
19: CL2, *p2, CL2, repeat from * to end of round
21: k4, *p2, k4, repeat from * to end of round
23: ssk, ssk, *p2, ssk, ssk, repeat from * to end of round
25: CL1, *p2, CL1, repeat from * to end of round
27: k2, *p2tog, k2, repeat from * to end of round
29: ssk, *p, ssk, repeat from * to end of round
31-51: k1,p1 rib
53: k1, p1, k1, cast off 2, p1, k1, p1, k1, p1, cast off 2, k1, p1, k1
54: p1, k1, p1, cast on 2, p1, k1, p1, k1, p1, cast on 2, p1, k1, p1
55-66: k1, p1 rib
67: k2tog across
68: k2tog beg & end of row
69: k2tog across
70: cast off remaining stitches
Weave in ends and sew on buttons.

25 comments:

  1. Beautiful work. I love cable too and will be looking for towels to use for this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you explain row 31-51 ? I know the k1 p1 rib but what is the 61 ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that it is just a Typo.and is most likely the same rib pattern as rows 55 - 66.

      Delete
    2. It is a typo. Sorry about that!

      Delete
  3. what is the explanation of row 31-51 and the instruction 61?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that it is just a Typo.and is most likely the same rib pattern as rows 55 - 66.

      Delete
  4. I am wondering if you can explain rows 5 - 9 to me...it says to "repeat Row 1" but Row 1 was the "Pick up stitches" row?? Do you mean repeating Row 2 or do a repeat of rows 3 & 4? Also in your description of the towel topper in the start of your blog you state that it "starts with a K6, P2 rib pattern but in the instructions you start with a *P6, K2* is that correct or should it be reversed? I love this pattern and this my first attempt at knitting a Towel Topper so any clarity you can provide me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fixed.
      5-9 should be repeat row 3.

      The P6, K2 should be correct, I am going to take a deeper look at that part.

      Delete
  5. I don't see mention of recommended needle size for this pattern. What do you suggest works best? thnx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I personally use US size 6, but I knit loosely on straights, so I would suggest US size 8 for everyone else.

      Delete
  6. I wish to know about the size of the knitting nneedles - 3.50 or 3.75?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I personally use US size 6, but I knit loosely on straights, so I would suggest US size 8 for everyone else.

      Delete
  7. Okay, I'm on my 2nd one but haven't gotten past the buttonholes because I'm confused. Think the pattern rows are mis-numbered. 55-66 is rib pattern, then the next row is 57,58,59 & 60 or should it be 67,68,69 & 70?

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's my first time doing this type of pattern. Please explain row 4 and all even rows. Also rows 5-9 repeat row 3. Do you repeat row 3 for every row. Rows 5,6,7,8 9. Any help would be great. Thanks Tessa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great pattern! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. 29: ssk, *p, ssk, repeat from * to end of round
    please p?????

    ReplyDelete
  11. maybe my question wasn't clear, on row 29 how many purl stitches should there be???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks like it is only 1 purl st bracketed by ssk. If you look at the row above (Row 27) you will see that you are asked to do K2, P2tog, K2 which results in K2, P1, K2 sts on your needle and that will match up with the SSK, P1, SSK of Row 29.

      Delete
  12. im confused there are rows missing like row 2,10,14,15,16,18? what am I not undersanding can someone plz clarify it for me plzz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Row 2 missed the carriage return and is in fact on Row 1's line in the pattern. Have a re-read of Row 4 it says that all even rows .... that will take care of rows 10, 14, 16 and 18. Row 13-15 takes care of your Row 15 problem.

      Delete
  13. Thanks for providing this pattern. I love doing cables and the way you have maintained the cable pattern while decreasing the stitches is inspired (and something that is deceptively simple).

    ReplyDelete
  14. Been on 3 months holiday to Italy and learnt to do these as I am a knitter and couldn't find many patterns. I have done 20 so far as tea towels in Italy are lovely. So everyone will be getting them for Christmas. Thank you so much for sharing the pattern

    ReplyDelete
  15. I do not understand...for example Row 21. K4*p2,k4, repeat from * to end of round...…………...so what does end of round mean? And do you do this row twice because then you go to Row 23.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can not see row 52 instructions or is it considered even purl the purl and knit the knits?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Row 54 when casting on for button hole, should the knits and purls be swapped between the holes to keep in rib pattern? Sorry to ask, I am a first time button whole maker.

    ReplyDelete