Monday, March 28, 2011

Lion Mane with Ears

My daughter loves to pretend she is a lion. She has an adorable roar and my husband had suggested several times that I should make her a tail and ears to go with it.

I looked all around and couldn't find a set of lion ears that were round like they should be. I also didn't want to make a full hat because I wanted these ears to be wearable in the summer or anytime she wants to pretend she's a lion. So these are designed to be on a headband, although you could attach them to a beanie if you want.

I made these for a kid's sized headband, but these ears could just as easily be attached to an adult-sized headband.

Materials Needed
  • Worsted Weight Yarn
  • Size 6 knitting needles
  • Yarn Needle
  • Headband
Band
Make 1
This is designed to attach to an existing headband. I used a 3/4 inch wide headband. Adjust the band for a wider or narrower headband.

Cast on 12
Knit in Stockinette until band is just a little longer than headband.

Ears
Make 4

cast on 16
  1. Knit in stockinette for 12 rows or 2 inches
  2. SSK, K3, SSK, K2, K2tog, K3, K2tog
  3. Purl
  4. SSK, K1, SSK, K2, K2tog, K1, K2tog
  5. Purl
  6. SSK, SSK,K2tog, K2tog
Bind Off

Hold 2 ear halves together, wrong sides out. Sew 2 ear halves to each other, turn right side out. Ears should curve a little. I left long yarn tails to use to sew the ears onto the headband.
Attach band to headband and then attach ears. Sew ears on so that they curve slightly.
Cut strips of yarn for mane and attach as for the Lion Tail, working around band, leaving ears free.
I personally did 2 pieces at a time for the mane even though I did 3 at a time for the tail.
Trim if needed, and give to your little lion to help them feel more like roaring!

2 comments:

  1. I used the pattern to make my boyfriend a hat for his Halloween costume, turned out amazingly!!! Thank you so much for posting!! We are going to give it to his 9 year old sister after to use as dress up!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love it, it's so cute!

    ReplyDelete